If you have been injured and are in agony because of the actions or negligence of another person here in Flagstaff, Arizona, you may be entitled to personal injury compensation. However, in order to determine what type of personal injury case you have and whether or not a lawyer could help, it is essential to understand a few critical things about the law in regard to being wounded by someone else’s negligence. The fact is, there are many different types of cases injury due to someone being negligent, and each one has its own set of requirements for a successful claim.
In this article, we’ll discuss:
- What types of injuries and accidents result in a personal injury claim.
- Important information on when and how to pursue compensation for an injury caused by negligence.
- Why it’s a good idea to hire an experienced personal injury attorney instead of going it alone.
- What to do immediately after the injury occurs to maximize your chance of a successful personal injury case.
- How to hire a personal injury lawyer in Flagstaff, Arizona.
- And more.
But before we dive in, let’s take a closer look at what personal injury actually is in the eyes of the law.
What is personal injury?
In personal injury law, the person who caused you to suffer is known as a defendant. In bodily harm cases, it’s crucial to be able to prove that another party was negligent in order for them to be held liable and, therefore, financially responsible for any injuries or property damage they caused.
Types of personal injuries include:
- Physical trauma (e.g., broken bones, concussions)
- Mental health issues (e.g., PTSD, anxiety)
- Occupational hazards (e.g., exposure to asbestos)
- Chemical exposures, and more.
A number of factors can cause these injuries; however, in order for it to qualify for a personal injury claim, it must be proven to have been caused by the negligence of another person or entity.
Examples of accidents that often result in injury of one’s person cases include:
- Injury caused by faulty products.
- Negligent doctors and medical malpractice.
- Vehicle accidents include car accidents, bike accidents, motorcycle accidents, bus accidents, and pedestrian accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents at public parks, retail stores or offices, parking lots, and sidewalks.
Other types of damages related to personal injury may include lost wages, pain or suffering, which mean compensation for things such as discomfort, inconvenience, and emotional distress resulting from the defendant’s negligence.
Personal Injury Claims
During the time immediately following an accident, personal injury claims may be the last thing on your mind. Still, it’s essential to follow a few critical steps in order to maximize your chances of being compensated for any injuries or damages you may have sustained.
Follow this personal injury case checklist to ensure that you’ve adequately documented the accident while your memory is fresh:
- First and foremost, be sure there are no dangers to yourself or others nearby
- Carefully inspect the accident site for potential evidence such as skid marks, broken glass, blood trails, etc.
- Call an ambulance if anyone is harmed and needs medical attention.
- Document the event by taking pictures of the scene and any injuries incurred.
- Be sure to get the contact information of any witnesses and any other parties involved in the accident.
- Cooperate with law enforcement.
- Contact your insurance company in the event of an auto accident.
- Do not accept any compensation or settlement until you’ve spoken with an attorney.
- Contact a trusted local attorney and schedule a consultation.
How much time do I have to file a personal injury lawsuit?
Once you’ve identified that personal injuries have occurred due to someone else’s negligence, it is important not to delay in reaching out for legal representation. This is because there are time limits called statutes of limitations which will determine how long you have after the injury has occurred before your right to file a lawsuit expires and may no longer be valid.
In some states, this might be two years, while in others, it can vary depending on factors such as how long you’ve been experiencing symptoms or whether your injuries are minor or major.
In any case, if you think that someone else’s negligence has caused personal injuries and damages to yourself or your property, consider speaking with an experienced personal injury attorney in Flagstaff who can discuss the next steps based on Arizona law and help explain what types of compensation may be available for recovery.
Why hire a personal injury attorney?
Personal injury cases can be complex and often require representation by an experienced lawyer who knows how to litigate these types of claims successfully.
Having the assistance of an attorney can make all the difference in your case. An experienced lawyer understands what damages are available for compensation, how to go about filing the necessary paperwork with the proper agencies, and is generally more familiar with Flagstaff, Arizona’s laws regarding tort claims which will be relevant when determining eligibility or fault in your accident.
There are many different types of personal injuries; each one has its own set of requirements for a successful claim. In short, the legal process can be challenging to navigate on your own, and your chances of a favorable outcome are significantly increased when you hire a lawyer to guide you.
When searching for a personal injury attorney to represent you, consider these tips:
- Laws vary from state to state. Make sure the attorney is local from your area to ensure they are familiar with local laws.
- The attorney you hire should specialize in personal injury and should be able to demonstrate a history of personal injury cases won.
- Don’t settle too soon; a Flagstaff personal injury lawyer can help negotiate for more compensation.
Attorneys at Antol and Sherman PC in Flagstaff, Arizona
Our experienced and aggressive team of lawyers at Antol & Sherman, PC will fight for your right to compensation if you were hurt and have suffered in any way, including as a result of a vehicle collision, bike accident, a fall, or other accident.
We are on your side. We believe that you should not have to go through this alone. Therefore, we work hard to assist you every step of the way. Our Flagstaff attorneys are empathetic, dedicated advocates who take on cases involving injuries ranging from minor damage to fatal accidents. We handle all legal issues involved in your case and stay in touch with you throughout the process so you can focus on healing. Our unique legal services are built around your situation. They are fully backed by aggressive efforts to achieve the best possible result.
If you or a loved one has been hurt and are experiencing agonizing pain, you should visit a physician as soon as possible and seek legal counsel from an accident lawyer with extensive knowledge and courtroom expertise. Our attorneys can assist you in obtaining the highest possible compensation for medical expenses, missed wages, and other losses incurred due to personal injury.